This book marks the start of the anniversary year: in short, rainer adam presents his chronicle of the wurzburg winery "stachel," which he researched for more than two years. In spring, the oldest wine house in the cathedral city celebrates its 600th birthday. Birthday. "There is a certificate from 7. April 1413", tells adam. According to this document, the butcher hanns rehlein, together with his wife and landlady margarethe, bought the property on which the "stachel" was built today stands.
As the document further mentions, rehlein paid 200 rhenish gulden for it. But the property, which he now ran as an inn, was already old at that time. The romanesque double gate to the inner courtyard was already built around 1200. In the wurzburg fief book, the property appeared around 1310 as "hinterer gressenhof a hundred years later, the name "viertelhof" is found. Taxes and duties were paid here. In the peasants' war the "sting" was meeting place for rebellious burghers and farmers. The name "sting allegedly from this time. A hung-out stachel, also known as a "morning star called, should have marked the headquarters.
Noble florian geyer menu
A florian geyer menu from venison cappucino with small maultaschen, combined with blue zipfeln of organic veal, pike perch, guinea fowl, kase and sea buckthorn sorbet reminds today at least the name of this epoch. Whether the rebellious farmers could have afforded this meal?
Probably not. The stachel today focuses on exquisite cuisine. The six-course menu in honor of florian geyer costs 72 euros, and if wine accompaniment is desired, it costs 42 euros more.
Disc reminds of spiked host
The former landlord obviously had not only pure money-making in mind. After the suppression of the revolutionary uprising following the peasants' failed assault on marienberg fortress, he hid many peasants or helped them to escape. That's why he was severely punished, his house was imposed with high duties and taxes.
A glass panel with the title "der stachlwirt a" once served as a reminder. D. 1525" by the wurzburg sculptor and graphic artist heinz schiestl, who died in 1940, is attached to it. At present the disc is not to be seen in natura, because the picture was destroyed in the second world war. For the jubilee year it is to be restored.
Conversion 100 years ago
Things were comparatively quiet in the following decades. The owners changed, again and again there were reconstructions. For example, by the patrician family hahn in 1676. After that, the style of the late renaissance pragmatized the inn. "About 100 years ago kaspar burger loved to rebuild the farm, rainer adam found out.
He wanted to develop the upper area. Since then, there has been a gallery. Also around 100 years old are the glass paintings of men and women in french costume with the scriptural bands that the artist schiestl created for the "stachel" designed and executed by master glazier matthias niebler.
Butcher, brewer, baker as innkeeper
Gasthauser have belonged to the cities to urban infrastructure. Whereas most innkeepers run their taverns on the side. Hanns rehlein was typical from there.
Butchers like him in particular, but also brewers and bakers, ran inns. Only since the 16. In the 21st century there are innkeepers in the main profession. Rainer adam, who traces this, brings a piece of wurzburg history to life in his illustrated chronicle.
Particularly attractive are the up to 130-year-old picture postcards that he picked up from postcard dealers. A feast for the eyes are besides the wonderful, historical wine and food cards. One of them actually dates back to 1919.